Notice: We are no longer using these forums. Please visit and subscribe to the Tribal Hero subreddit for community discussions or our wiki site.

We'll keep the forums around until we can get all of the useful content here moved into the wiki but no new discussions will be started.

Tutorial: Combat

Talk about anything related to Tribal Hero

Tutorial: Combat

by Zechnophobe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:54 am

Hello all, I've seen a lot of questions about this, and since I seem to know more than most, thought I'd share what I know on the combat of Tribal Hero! I'm going to go into some detail, but try to sum up with things in BIG BOLD PRINT for those not interested in the exact nuances.

First, let's understand how a unit works
This is a fighters stats:
HP 90
Attack 3
Carry 25
Range 1st row
Position 1st row
Speed 8
Upkeep 1 per hour

Let's take it line by line:

HP: These are how much damage the unit will take before it dies.
Attack: This is how much damage a unit deals each time it attacks (See the unit damage modifier thread for more info. You will deal more or less than this number based on who you are hitting)
Carry: This is the amount of each resource the troop can take. It is divided for things like Iron and Gold.
Range: This unit can only attack units in this, or lower, rows. It cannot attack units in rows behind it, until that row is empty.
Position: This is the row the unit occupies (see above)
Speed: How fast it moves on the overland Map
Upkeep: Food cost per hour.

More on Range and Position:

Think of arranging all the troops into 4 ranks. In the first rank is swords, hoplites, gladiators, cavalry. Second is archers, knights, carts. Third is helopolis, Catapults, and Towers. Fourth is buildings.
If something has 'range first rank' it can ONLY target those first rank units listed above. It can't attack any of the second rank units unless all the first rank units are dead.
If a unit has 'second rank' range, it can target either of the first two ranks, but CANNOT target the third rank until all troops in ranks 1 and two are dead. Once all troops in the target rank are dead, you can target only the rank directly behind it. If all those troops are also all dead, you can target the rank behind that, and so on.
Troops with position above 1st rank are less likely to be attacked in combat. Buildings are Always attacked last (But not towers)

Unit Attack Priority

In addition to the above restrictions on what a unit CAN attack, there is also the question of what it WILL attack. Each unit will *always* attempt to attack the opposing unit that it deals the most damage to. That's the most total damage, and has nothing to do with if it is tactically sound :). For example, Swordsmen do 75% damage vs Cavalry, but 100% damage vs Swordsmen, so they will always target the swordsmen first, and leave the cavalry for later. Gladiators deal 125% damage to Helopolis, so will make sure to target them first. Similarly archers deal bonus damage to swordsmen and gladiators and hoplites, but only normal damage to cavalry, so won't target them. If more than one stack TIE for being the most vulnerable, then it is randomly determined which stack will be attacked.

EDIT: This has changed just a little bit. Previously, units will attack at random as described above, and choose a new random target each time they attack. Now they choose a target, and keep attacking that target until that stack is dead, and then new targets are chosen. This makes previously loss-less fights (where the damage is spread out evenly) to be high casualty raids. For example, a city that deals 1000 damage to 100 level 5 cavalry used to kill 1 or 2. Now it'll kill 5 pretty much every time.

Units will attack whoever they can hurt the most in combat, and ignore the rest

Splash Damage
Some units do splash damage. This means they hit more than one stack at a time. Archers hit 3, towers hit 4 (base) and Helopolis hit 5. The additional targets for these units follows the targeting above. Note that towers deal more damage to archers than swordsmen. So if you attack with both swords and archers against an opponent, expect for your archers to die a lot. Don't send archers on raids against towered cities! Note that the Spiked Barricade upgrade increases the number of splash targets for all your buildings.

EDIT: The technology "Hanzo Formation" Helps your gladiators, swordsmen, and fighters shrug off some splash damage. This reduces the damage dealt to targets beyond the first. So if an archer attacks three targets, target 1 recieves 100%, target 2 receives 95%, and target 3 receives 95% (Hanzo level 1). This is a very good tech, especially for Gladiator based armies. This does NOT change the targeting priority of archers or other splash damage units. They will target just as if Hanzo Formation didn't exist.
Last edited by Zechnophobe on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zechnophobe

Re: Tutorial: Combat

by giulianob » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Stickied :)
giulianob
Site Admin

by AncientPC » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:17 pm

• I'm being attacked by glads, knights, archers. My towers should be targeting archers (125% dmg), but instead are targeting glads and knights (100% dmg). Why?
  • What determines the stack attacking order? It seems random as my towers will fire, their knights will attack, my archers attack, etc.
  • Do units that get finished during a battle, join the battle? What about troops returning from an attack?
  • What causes units to miss? From what I've heard it's when one army is much larger than another, but could you clarify how much bigger?
AncientPC

by timewaster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:51 pm

AncientPC wrote:
  • I'm being attacked by glads, knights, archers. My towers should be targeting archers (125% dmg), but instead are targeting glads and knights (100% dmg). Why?
  • What determines the stack attacking order? It seems random as my towers will fire, their knights will attack, my archers attack, etc.
  • Do units that get finished during a battle, join the battle? What about troops returning from an attack?

I can't speak to the first point, but I've seen some of the other two circumstances.

Attacks happen in order, left to right, and alternate between the defender and attacker. The defender's town and troops will always be listed first, followed by reinforcing troops in order of arrival. Attackers are listed in the same way. So a typical round will begin with one of the host city's buildings firing, then the first attacker's first stack, and so on. If one side is outnumbered, the greater force will fire in consecutive hits at the end of the round. I have seen the occasional consecutive hit in the middle of a round that didn't appear to be splash damage, but that seems to be the exception.

When troops enter a fight, there seems to be a kind of refresh that happens. I've seen a level 4 tower that was reduced and removed from combat re-enter as a level 3 tower after a new group arrived to fight. Troops that were built since the start of the fight also entered the battle at that time. So unless a new group enters the fight from the outside, produced units would not join. I would imagine troops returning from a fight would join just like reinforcements, but I haven't seen it personally so I can't confirm.
timewaster

by Zechnophobe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:49 pm

1) Glads archers and knights all take 100% damage from the tower, I think this may have been a slight bug in previous versions. Check the damage modifier graphic now, and you'll see it saying this.
2) The attack order is fixed when an army enters the battle, and goes left to right, switching off between left most defender (which goes first), and left most attacker. If a stack of troops is killed during a fight though, this will create 'gaps', causing the attacker, or defender, to attack multiple times in a row. Newly added armies can sometimes aggro new buildings, and so those new buildings get added to the end of the list.
3) Troops returning from an attack, or building during a fight, join the fight.
4) Units have a 'miss' chance when one army is much larger than the other. I don't know the exact numbers, but it seems to max out at about 67% miss chance for the army when it is about 3 times bigger. A missed attack deals half damage, and is then rounded.
Zechnophobe

by AncientPC » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks to everyone for clarifying.
AncientPC

by wallacesaunders » Sat May 04, 2013 8:09 am

a very thorough and easy to follow tutorial.. Thanks for helping out guys!
wallacesaunders

by Tomvdr » Fri May 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Nice, thanks for this!
Tomvdr

Return to General Discussion